Custom Search

November 13, 2008

So I haven't written in at least a week.

I feel like a rotten scoundrel.
My apologies.

Perhaps this will explain somewhat....

About two and a half weeks ago I received a phone call which I missed, as often happens in my case. Later that day, I missed another almost identical attempt at cellular communication.

The attempts were made by one Norman Furley, a man I have come to greatly admire in recent months. He has been speaking on a weekly basis to the youth at Grace where I orchestrate Sunday morning worship. I had come to greatly admire his speaking and the truth he brought to the student populace. I had interacted with Norman via phone before for youth group coordinating purposes, and assumed this was a similar call. But his short message sounded urgent. I called back, left a message, and started a game of phone tag.

When Norman called me back, some 8-12 hours after his original call to me, he asked me if I would consider staying in Texas longer than the remaining planned two month. He went on to say he has just started a new job and would love to hire me on to work with them there, and wanted me to come in and check it out. I agreed to at least look the place over.

Two days later I showed up early on a Friday, decked out to make a good impression. He showed me the whole place, running from here to there and filling me in on what each person or room was dedicated to, and what was cool or screwed up about each part of the job. He told me what he thought were good things and what he thought were back things. Then I responded.

I really loved the idea of the job, but I wasn't able to say I could commit to a longer stay. He said he was willing to hire me on temporarily for a month and a half, and to spend my weekend praying about it. Can't argue with that.

As I prayed over it, I saw a lot of opportunity there, a lot of fun things I would enjoy, and a good connection as well both Spiritually and for my resume. I couldn't find any reason to reject, but I prayed for a sign. On that Sunday, Norman spoke for the last time. The topic was on how what you do with your life affects who you are. He took this directly to speaking about the student's college and career plans for the future. He explained how he was designed by God to be a person who did all kinds of different things in his life. How he had never had a "real job." How 18 months ago he was working with wielders and this past week he was backstage of the Ellen show with Cher. He explained how God used him in so many different places, but he was never defined by what he was doing, but always by God and his glory and purpose in that place. He said that because he was God's he could take great risks and make huge leaps because he knew God was in control.

This was a sign. I have always said I was designed to do different things, only staying with things for a time. I thought I made it up though. I never heard anyone sympathize with this view, let alone proclaim it as God's design to use him personally for His glory!

Now I have a crazy awesome job, it keeps me really busy and I'm waiting to see what comes of it, hoping to utilize it in the way Norman explained it.

No comments: