Custom Search

October 11, 2007

I recently got my hands on the promotional sampler of a new book entitled The Red Letters by Tom Davis, and the chapter I was able to read is simply profound in its assesment of Christianity today. The book claims that Christianity today owes the world an apology for how little it has done to reach out and help the world in the way Christ commanded it. Here is a brief segment....

"I've discovered a new way to live. Every morning when I get out of bed, I look for Jesus. No, not because I've misplaced Him. And I'm not talking about a feeling I get during prayer, or revelation that comes to me while reading Scripture. I'm talking about finding Jesus in the eyes of real people. In the eyes of the poor, the handicapped, the oppressed, the orphan, the homeless, the AIDS victim-the abandoned and the forgotten.
Throughout Scripture, Jesus identified with teh poor in amazing ways. He was their champion, their advocate. He gave them purpose and meaning and hope. He held them in high esteem and blessed them. There is something deep and meaningful about this. In Matthew 25:40 Jesus said, 'Whenever you did one of these things to someone overlooked or ignored, that was me-you did it to me.' Was he truly saying that we will find him in the lives of the poor? This is a rich mistery."

Seems he has really hit something we don't hear much.
The book has come out since I recieved this sampler, to find out more, check out http://tomdavis.typepad.com/

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey I came across your blog today, and I found 'Rachel's World Race' link. Funny thing, I just got home from the World Race in November! : ) Also, Tom Davis -Author of Red Letters -- is my brother in law. Two random connections, so I had to post.
Blessings to you , whatever your name is. ; )
Hannah
hannah@hopechest.org

Murdering Muses said...

Wow, that's awesome. I'm so glad you came across me, I still haven't gotten a copy of the full book, I'm in school right now and I have so much curricular reading, I don't have much time for anything else. A good friend of mine just left for a year at the beginning of January with the World Race, pretty exciting!