Custom Search

October 8, 2008

So the other day in the middle of my occasional classical music binge I had a reoccurring thought that has become more and more clear in my mind every time it has brought up. We all know that classical composers and orchestral directors are generally greatly admired for their talents and great skill in their work. But the truth is that, in general, modern society doesn't understand what the ins and outs of classical music are, or what truly makes these artist so significant in their work. Most people would be far more enthralled by any old guitar strummer than they would a significant classical genius. This came to me as I was listening to this music and realizing that this one song had flowed almost effortlessly from emotion to emotion, telling a story without using any words or really indicating it would do such. I came to a point where I suddenly felt like somebody had been telling me the story of their past. I realized this when the song took a morose turn, I literally felt like someone just started into a turn in their life story where things just fell apart. I was seriously amazed to think this song without words could evoke so much varied emotion, telling a much larger story than the sum of its notation.

The more I see complexity in various things, the more I realize why people devote themselves to things which seem obscure or a little goofy. This has taken on many different forms in my life, but the underlying similarity is the ever-epiphanatic realization that there may be some good reason people enjoy what they do. Many of these are either lost arts or geographically localized interests. Tap-dancing is something that has always fascinated me. I really don't understand how you can do that with your feet, how you can keep your balance at the same time, or how you could figure out and design a technique for it. Another thing I saw recently was a man who is a vodka taste-testing judge. Now, I would say that the majority of people in this world are split between either those who wouldn't like vodka or those who want the vodka for its alcohol content. But here is a man who obviously does not drink vodka to get wasted, but purely for the taste. And above all of this, I watched amazed as he taste tested 8 shots of vodka and placed them correctly in order of their quality. Obviously he truly has a taste for and intimate understanding of the complex intricacies of vodka's flavor.

The list goes on and on, but the over all theme runs true througout. The things which people are purposeful in often have some interesting complexity and true sense of worth in them. This stands a stark contrast while those activities which are often more socially popular lack any intrinsic value.

1 comment:

Joseph said...

couldn't have said it better. it is amazing and sometimes frustrating, how people run right passed things of true quality and excellence for the shallow trends...